How to Choose a Best MIG Welder – Reviews 2020
Welding businesses are growing these days like never before. To start a welding garage you need expert and professional welders and standard welding tools after making arrangements for paperwork and hiring, you can now jump on to decide what type of MIG welding you need for the shop. This brainstorming is applicable for any crafty welder as well. No need to panic at all, we have carefully listed a few categories to think of before buying a Best MIG welder for the money.
The following guidelines will assist any welders to understand what type of welding machine is needed for their job
1. Understand the requirements
- Why you need a welding machine is a very important question you need to ask yourself. Is it going to be just for domestic use or it will be used in a garage? Is the garage you have opened is for a village market or is it a heavy-duty garage at the center of a city or an industry.
- To calculate the amount of usage is very important because you don’t need to buy a high power or less powerful machine, whatever machine you are buying it should be enough for your work not over or less.
2. MIG/Flux-Cored welders or multipurpose
- All the available MIG welders do support flux core functions. However, there are others who don’t. The MIG/Flux-Cored welder must be needed for the work if the welding work is diverse in nature. Always opt for multipurpose or dynamic MIG welders.
- The machine can offer different work such as for general home repair, ranch applications, auto body, maintenance, and repair among others. The best MIG welders should include the following functions; Auto-set system, standardized built-in solid contractor circuits, and thermal overload protection.
3. To understand the primary power requirements?
- The basic MIG welder usually runs at 115v. Easily suitable to weld thin metals at home. A 115V welder such as the Millermatic 140 will do this work well. But if you want to weld thicker metals then you need expensive MIG welders.
4. Choose welder with thermal overload protection and the duty cycle
- MIG welder can be distorted because of overheating. A MIG welder should have thermal overheating protection otherwise it may cause hindrances during the time of work. A welder is to be bought for the long term so the thermal overload protection will act as an insurance policy for you. Before buying welder output needs to be understood first.
- The output of welding machines is measured by the use of amperage and voltage and rated as the duty cycle. The duty cycle means the measurement of time that a welder is able to operate at a certain output without having to exceed the limits of the component parts’ temperature. The duty cycle is inversely proportional to the welding output.
5. The metal thickness and types
- Some welders are good at welding thin metal sheets whereas there are other MIG welders that are meant to weld only thicker sheets. Things like, the metal thickness, welding position, joint configurations, the wire diameter speed, the shielding gas among other factors will determine the amount of voltage you will adjust your machine to run at while you do the welding. The machine should have a digital screen. MIG welders will automatically set the amount of current and voltage you need to work on. Once the Auto-set is on, just dial the thickness of the metal you want to work on and the machine will automatically set itself to the required voltage.
- The size and wire type are also important in the welding process and play an important role in the purchase. Two common wire types namely AWS classification ER70S-3 that will be used for all purposes and the ER70S-6 wire that is used when more deoxidizers are required such as on rusty and dirty surfaces. The size of the wire to be used for welding will therefore not determine the type of machine you will go for. However, the machine you will buy will determine the type and size of wire weld you will be using
The Best Mig Welders for the Money – TOP 10
1 -Hobart – 500553 Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder
One of the best MIG welders online available is the Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG, Welder. It is a perfect blend of affordability, amperage range, and superior quality components. The price of this welder is not less but in terms of performance, it is more reliable. Customers love the fact that the range of amperage settings is outstanding, and a mammoth range of wire speeds. This setting makes sure that you have full control over dialing in your convenient setup for each job. The setting up is really easy.
It is designed for all kinds of the environment including industrial welding shops, but beginners love this welder a lot. The welder is perfect for a stationary workbench set-up. It generates an incredibly smooth, consistent arc. The machine does not have minimal spatter issues, like any other lower grade MIG welding machines.
It’s the most trusted MIG machine for many keen welders around the globe and has every features that machine with 210 amps of power needs. It leads to high-task yield and is incredibly powerful. It is lightweight and easy to move. It functions on 115V household power and produces 140 amps of output power. It doesn’t require any additional setup and is perfect for steel, stainless alloys, and aluminum. Best value for money!
- Dual-voltage (115V/230V) with MVP plug leads plugin anywhere
- Welds 24 ga. to 3/8 in. steel in a single pass
- 7 voltage settings which help fine-tune for detailed welding
- Duty cycle – 115V 20% at 90 amps; 230V 30% at 150 amps
- Quick change drive roll system – no tools required
- Processes: Flux Cored (FCAW) MIG (GMAW).
- Weld Thickness Range: Mild Steel – 24 ga. – 1/4 in.
- Weldable Materials: Steel, Stainless Steel, Aluminum with Spool-gun.
- Input Voltage: 110/115/120 V, 60 Hz.
- Input Phase: 1-Phase.
- Current Type: DC.
2 -ESAB EMP215IC Professional Grade MIG/TIG/Stick Welder
ESAB EMP215IC 120/230-Volt MIG/TIG/Stick Welder is another welding machine with several components, including a TIG torch. It’s a very popular welding machine among crafty welders. This machine has some synergic settings that make welding and setting adjustments fast and convenient for anyone at any experience level.
The digital screen shows all the things very clearly. This also has a smart internal computer that analyzes your performance and adjusts accordingly. It is a little expensive. But the machine needs to be checked regularly.
- It has multifunctional performance for best-in-class MIG, Flux-Cored, Stick, and Lift TIG welding
- It has a very screen with great display features
- It comes with unique, five-handle roll cage industrial design and unibody steel construction, easy to move,3-year handle-to-handle warranty
- User’s manual with multiple languages
- It has a MIG gun, electrode holder, earth clamp, TIG torch w/ accessories & regulator
3 -HITBOX MIG Welder 200Amp
The Hitbox MIG200 is a MIG welder with great performance. It has a control panel Always prefer to buy a welder which comes under warranty. The average price approx $485, it is worth every penny you spent. Why invest money on multiple machines when this one can use for multipurpose projects. This machine can also perform as a MIG/ARC/LIFT TIG gas and gasless inverter welding machine.
It comes with a simple manual and easy to operate machine parts. The MIG welder has a cooling system that will protect this 3-in-1 machine from over-heating. If the welder you are using has a 2-pound flux-core wire, then it is not necessary to use a shielding gas. It uses lower power consumption and has a great battery life. This machine is not good to weld aluminum.
- Brand name: HITBOX
- Model: MIG200
- Inverter technology: IGBT
- Input voltage: AV220V±15%
- Max OCV:60V
- Duty Cycle: 30%@200A
- Power factor:0.73
- Post flow time:1.0±0.5
- Packing dimension: 490*490*290mm
- Wire diameter:0.8/1.0mm
- Applicable thickness: Over 0.8mm
- Wire feed speed:3-18m/min
- Plug: UK plug
4 -MIG Welder Flux Core Gasless – Reboot MIG150
If you are looking for a MIG welder which is low in cost but operates nicely then the Reboot MIG150 DC 220V Inverter MIG Welder is a perfect choice. The machine has an instruction manual which is not very easy to understand, but this MIG welder from Reboot is so easy to handle that you don’t require and help. Any crafty welder can easily operate it. There are less priced welder machines available but they are not as good as this one.
The machine is lightweight and capable of welds at an average temperature. The MIG150 can only run from a 220-volt PowerPoint, due to this reason not many welders prefer it. If you only have 220 volts in your garage, this is fine; but if you are buying it to operate from a different location then this is not the right choice.
- The MIG150 Dual Voltage Welder goes with a 1kg flux-cored wire perfect to weld steel without the usage of gas.
- One can use gas with 1kg solid welding wires .025″-.030″（0.6/0.8 mm ）to weld over .030″(0.8mm)Thickness workpiece.
- The MIG/Stick, Gas/Gasless Welding all are available, MMA welding(3.2mm Rod) 7018 1/8″ very well, also 6013 and 7018 3/32″
- The whole Package Case weighs around 10.3kg (22.7bl)Including : 1X Mig welder Mig150/ 1X Earth clamp/1X electrode holder/ 1X Mig welding torch/1X Flux-cored wire 1kg/ 1X Welding hose
- The welder has multi usages like it can weld stainless steel, mild steel, other metal material
- Always buy from a manufacturer that gives 1 Year Warranty
5 -SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp Mig Welder
The SUNGOLDPOWER MIG Welder is a welder meant for people with a lower budget. The overall quality is average but better than other welders available in the market. This welder comes with more amperage and manages to produce a neat weld. This welder can be used for several types of welding such as heavy-gauge sections and light gauge as well. The machine is lightweight and compact in size.
The welder has several accessories that can be used occasionally. There are four leads that are included and also a gun as well. All the accessories work fine. The connectors that come with the welders are of standard quality. The machine is light in weight. If you have other guns and clamps that can easily be used with the machine. Also, a piece of advice is to never use this machine for extensive welding jobs. Most suitable for hobbyist jobs, heavy-gauge plate welding, not a regular basis, and crafty welding jobs.
- This is a multifunction Welder with specifications:110V/220V Dual Voltage DC IGBT Inverter welder, MIG/MAG/ARC/MMA
- This machine has both Gasless flux-cored welding and Gas-shielded MIG welding
- With the welder aluminum welding with the spool gun （spool, a gun is not included）is possible.
- The fireweed speed and welding current are adjustable to suit any applications and it can weld metal of varied thickness
6 -Weldpro 155 Amp Inverter MIG/Stick Arc Welder
The Weldpro 155 Amp Inverter MIG Welder is a perfect welder for hobbyists and comes at attractive pricing. The welder is one of the smallest of all the welders available in the market, but it is capable of plugging into both 110 and 220-volt power points.
The machine is portable because of its compact sizing. The 2T and 4T switches are liked by many welders. Because of it, the welder allows manual and automatic wire feeding depending on the type of weld you’re doing or as per your likings. A welder can purchase additional parts from the market. Weldpro has been in the market for many years now. They can build amazing components that are of better quality at an attractive price. This 155-amp machine is one of their popular products.
This is definitely a reliable welder and not expensive at all.MIG155Gsv is both a MIG and self-shielded flux-cored welding machine, it can easily control the short-circuiting transfer and mixed transfer resulted in better performance than other machines. This MIG welder has lots of advantages such as stable wire feed rate, portable, energy-saving, electromagnetic noise-free, easier arc starting, deep welding pool, high duty cycle, etc and many more.
- This welder has a dual input power capability to select 120-Volt input power for home and generator-driven environments
- This welder has a range of 30 to 155 Amp welding range
- It can weld up to 1/4 in. mild steel both MIG, flux-cored and stick welding
- The feeds wire at 78 in. to 472 in. per minute and has infinitely adjustable wire speed and heat settings
- It comes with two-style gun and consumables
- The cold contractor has a safety feature that keeps the welding of wire electrically cold until the gun trigger is pressed
- It has a compact design
- It is very lightweight
7 -LINCOLN ELECTRIC CO K2698-1
Lincoln Electric is known for creating excellent quality welding machines. LINCOLN ELECTRIC CO K2698-1 Easy MIG 180 Wire Feed Welder is one of the well-known MIG welders available in today’s competitive market. It is worth every penny you are spending. Also, there is a good number of accessories that come with the welding machine, unlike some other machines.
The MIG welder lays a beautiful bead with minimal spatter on light sections, but you don’t want it for heavy welding because it only reaches 180 amps maximum. Also, the weld isn’t as consistent as we hoped it would be for its price. It’s a simple machine to set up, and it comes with a helpful manual along with an e-manual if you need it.
It has a decent gun and ground clamp, but they aren’t exceptional for the price you pay with the machine. For crafty welders and beginners, it is a good choice. Professionals also find their performance equals to primary MIG welder brands. It is hassle-free and simple to operate. Anyone could uniformly run the beads on any type of specimen. It is best in fabrication and automobile welding.
- It has a duty Cycle: 20% @ 70A.
- The Input Voltage is approximately 115/160v.
- The amperage Range of this MIG welder is 30A – 140A.
- The total net weight is 71 lbs.
- Input Phase: 1-Phase.
- Wire Feeder Speed: 50 IPM – 500 IPM.
- It comes with a warranty of 3 Years.
8 -LOTOS MIG175 175AMP -Best Mig Welder for the money
It is the most versatile welder in the MIG category. The machine is able to weld aluminum with the spool gun. The welder has a transformer technology that has been proven to be reliable and durable. LOTUS MIG175 can quickly connect to any existing 220-Volt wall outlet. It is appropriate to weld stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, and other metal materials. It is typically an average quality welder but with more diversity, it is definitely recommended. It has some handy features like the aluminum spool gun that’s included.
Most MIG machines are capable of welding aluminum, but they won’t feed the soft aluminum wire without a specially designed spool gun. It is designed to produce a splatter-free weld. If you’re a serious welder wanting a decent machine for home projects, then the MIG175 is a welding machine that you should consider to purchase.
- This 175 Amp MIG welder comes with a spool gun and MIG welding torch
- It operates on 200-Volt to 240-Volt, with automatic dual frequency
- It can weld sizes up to: 0.6 mm to 0.9 mm; for flux-cored: 0.8 mm to 1.2 mm
- The wire feeding rate is approx 4.9 ft. to 39.3 ft./min; duty cycle: 20% at 175 Amp, 30% at 135 Amp
- The welding capacity for steel and stainless steel: 18 Gal. 1/4 in. for aluminum: 1/8 in. plate or thicker
- The entire package comes with following components: MIG Spool gun MSG094 (9ft long); MIG Torch MT104 (10ft long, 4 prong connection); Ground cable & clamp (6 ft long); Argon hose (4ft long); Argon Regulator AR03; Hand shield and a cleaning wire brush. MIG Welding Solid wire (0.8mm, 0.9kg) spool; user Manual. MIG Accessories: One interior tip for torch MT104 (size 0.8-0.030); One interior tip for spool gun MSG094 (size 0.9-0.035); One wrench and one wire feeder accessory part.
9 -Miller Electric 120/240VAC, 1 Phase
The Miller Electric Millermatic 211 MIG Welder is a premium category welding machine and there are thousands of customers worldwide that trust this machine’s performance and quality. This welding machine is an expensive thing to buy but definitely it has exceptional performance and portability. It’s worth every penny spent. It is perfect for a workshop setting but highly recommended for rigorous or high-level work outside the workshop.
The start of technology is really smooth. It guarantees when the wire first forms the arc, that there is no spatter or deformed bead profile like many other machines produce. This is the most reliable machine. It has a lifetime value that defines the pricing is suitable as per the quality is concerned.
- It can weld any metal including aluminum
- The components of the MIG welder includes 10 ft. M-10 MIG Gun, 10 ft. Work Cable with Clamp, Built-In Gas Solenoid Valve, Dual Gauge Regulator with Gas Hose, Sample Spool of 0.030 in. Solid Wire, (2) 0.030 in. Contact Tips, (2) Hook-and-Loop Cord Wraps, Material Thickness Gauge Overall Width: 20-1/2″ Standards: CSA Certified Overall Height: 12-1/2″
- The following are the best feature: Advanced Auto-SetTM, Auto Spoolgun Detect, Smooth-StartTM, Angled Cast-Aluminum Drive System, Quick SelectTM Drive Roll, Thermal Overload Protection, Fan-on-Demand Phase: 1 Input Voltage: 240VAC Welded Material: Aluminum, Steel Output Range: 30 to 230A DC Welding Processes: MIG/Flux Core Portability: Handheld Portable Application: Maintenance, Repair, Auto/Cycle Shops, Farm and Ranch Jobs, Hobby Welding
10- Forney Easy Weld 140 MP, Multi-Process Mig Welder
The Forney Easy Weld 140 mp Welder is a good option for crafty welders. Forney is a decade old company with expertise in producing different welding tools, they have a long list of products. It is a compact welder. It weighs around 41.9 pounds. It is not expensive and flux-core welding is an ideal welding process.
It is a Cheap Mig welder that supports flux-core welding. It is low weight and portable welder. It is a plug and goes type of welder. Perfect for beginners welders. It works with two pounds and ten-pound spools. The wire included in the package creates impressive beads. The unit uses a 120 V input and is compatible with many power outlets. It also provides a 125 Amp output. We like the storage option that ensures that wire rolls are always available whenever welding commences. There is enough power to work on light, thin materials like stainless steel.
- It is a Gasless flux-core welder
- 120 V input
- It weighs around 41.9 Pounds
- It has a metal body
- It welds24 gauges to ¼”
How to choose the best welder brand 2020
All the brands project themselves as the best, but you need to thoroughly review the product before purchasing it. Research and surveys are the best things to rely upon. Online reviews, testimonials, and referrals will also help in decision making. There are brands that have stood the test of times and purchasing their products will make you not regret spending your money on them: Hobart, Thermal Arc, Everlast, Miller, and Lincoln.
In today’s world, welding is becoming popular. Some do it as a hobby and others want to do business. There are different functions such as heavy industrial jobs, light industrial jobs, home equipment and so many. There are many multi-functions of welding machines suitable for both industrial projects and home equipment. In addition, Best MIG Welder Buying Guide will tell you which matter you should realize before investment.